Apple’s iOS operating system comes with a mail program that allows you to check or compose your e-mails without having to open Safari or another browser and then laboriously call up your provider’s website. All you have to do is set up an email account on your iPhone, i.e., tell it how to access which mailbox. To do this, proceed as follows:
Setup 1and1 email on iPhone
- First, establish an Internet connection.
- Select Settings > Mail or Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Add account. There you will see a list of different email providers and programs such as Google and Yahoo or Exchange and Outlook from Microsoft.
- Tap on the provider or program with which you manage your e-mails. The iPhone will then connect on its own and show you an input field.
Then continue with Add mail account manually.
- At the bottom of the provider list, tap Other > Add Mail Account.
- A screen appears in which you type into the input fields one after the other and use the keyboard that appears to enter your name, then the email address of the mailbox you want to manage via the iPhone. Then the password and a description for the account, for example “GMX account” or “Company mails”.
- Tap Next.
- Your iPhone tries to connect to the email server. If this is successful, tap Done.
- If the iPhone cannot establish a connection, a selection IMAP or POP appears.
POP or IMAP? Which is which?
When you set up an email account on your smartphone, either the IMAP method is automatically set up to download mail from the server, or you can choose between POP and IMAP. Which means what?
POP stands for Post Office Protocol, today the third version POP3 is commonly used. In this case the mails are downloaded from the server and deleted there. The mails would then only be available on the smartphone.
IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. With this method, the mails are not downloaded to the device, but remain on the server. Advantage: You can call up, reply to or delete the mails with any device via IMAP.
- Under Server for incoming mails you then enter the account type plus the name of your mail provider under Host name.
Example: You have chosen the POP account type and have an e-mail account with 1&1, then your entry for Hostname is: pop.1and1.com.
- Then enter your e-mail address for User name and then the password for your mailbox.
- Enter the same information for Server for outgoing e-mails.
- Tap on Next.
- You can use the buttons to set the information to be exchanged between the mail server and the iPhone. The exchanged information is then stored in the mailbox as well as in the iPhone.
- Tap on Save.
If your iPhone cannot connect in either way and cannot set up an email account, please contact your email provider
- Setting up a Webmail Account for 1and1.com with Outlook
- How To Create a 1and1 Email Account
- How To Setup 1and1 Email On Android
- How To Set Up 1 and 1 webmail settings