Windows Update error is one of the difficult issues to solve on Microsoft, as it requires users to have a basic knowledge of technology and requires them to spend a lot of time. In today’s article, we will tell you the causes of Windows Update error 80072ee2 and instructions on how to solve this issue. Let’s get started!
What Causes Windows Update Error 80072ee2?
When you have to update your Windows to its newest version, a message comes up on your screen saying the system cannot establish the connection. To solve the Windows update error at its root, you will need to figure out the cause of this issue. In our experience, there are two possibilities of this error: one related to the Windows store folders, and the other one is about the Windows Registry problem.
Either the reason is, it will prevent you from updating the Windows to the last version. Therefore, in the next part, we will walk you through the solutions on how to fix Windows update error 80072ee2. Let’s scroll down to read!
How To Solve Windows Update Error 80072ee2?
Three methods can help you get rid of Windows update errors. Take time and have a look at them one by one!
Delete Software Distribution
To be more specific, the Software distribution folder is located within the Windows directory. It contains the files that are needed for the installation process of the latest Windows updates. Please note that you also erase all your update history when you delete the data in this folder.
With this method, you will have to spend time on the following instructions:
- Click on the combination of Windows and S keyboards. In the search box, type Command prompt. Next, press on the right side of the mouse and select Run as an administrator.
- In the command prompt, write down the code lines:
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop msiserver
- net stop bits
- Head to the Windows Update directory, then erase all the updated files. To do so, you will have to go through the few steps:
- Open the Run application, and paste this address into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
- Delete all the files within the Software distribution folder. In case you want to set them back, just save the file in another place. At this step, you can rename the folder for easy use.
- Run the Windows Update service again. This process might take a few minutes to compute the data and arrange the manifest for the download.
Open the command prompt and type the following code lines:
- net start cryptSvc
- net start wuauserv
- net start msiserver
- net start bits
Restart your PC and update your Windows again to see whether the error gets fixed.
You also can try another code line in the command prompt:
- net stop wuauserv
- rmdir /q /s c:\windows\softwaredistribution\.
- wuauclt /detectnow
If network setting is the cause, utilize the following order statement:
- netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Check Official Microsoft Documentation
As mentioned above, Microsoft documentation can be the reason that you can’t get your Windows updated. This error happens so often that Microsoft has published documentation showing how to fix it. All you have to do here is have a look at them and follow the instructions. After everything is done, restart your PCs and check whether the error still exists.
Check Proxy And Firewall Settings
Another method we would suggest here is checking your proxy server. In case you are using this tool, have a look at Internet Explorer. In detail, you will have to check the proxy you are using doesn’t require a username and password to get connected. If it does, you need to set it up again. We advise you to adjust the firewall to accept the connection to the updates without utilizing a proxy.
If your connection is implemented through a firewall, you have to make sure the following website URL is available in its settings:
- HTTP: //*.update.microsoft.com
- HTTPS: //*.update.microsoft.com
If you are accessing the internet through a proxy server from a local network, check the proxy settings of the system:
- netsh winhttp show proxy
- code 80072ee2
Spend a bit of effort on this method; you can get rid of Windows update errors. If the issue still shows up, have a look at the website itprospt.com for other solutions.
The Bottom Line!
So if you are facing a Windows update error 80072ee2, spend a bit of time reading about this error before finding the solutions! Although the issue looks a bit complicated, users can still solve it by being patient and following our instructions above. We hope this article was helpful to you! Have a great time reading!